What is a number line ? Definition and examples.
A number line is a line, ray, or line segment on which every point is assigned a real number.
Above, you can see three number lines.
- A line on which every point has been assigned a real number
- A segment on which every point has been assigned a real number.
- Finally, a ray on which every point has been assigned a real number.
Notice that although one of the number lines is made with a segment, it does not have just four points.
There are lots of points between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 3 and 4. Similarly,
there are lots of points between the numbers that you see for the ray and the
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.