What is a yard ? Definition and examples.
A yard is a unit of length in the customary system of measurement that is equal to 3 feet or 36 inches. One yard is slightly smaller than 1 meter.
1 yard = 0.9144 meter.
Suppose a full-grown person stretches one of his arms as shown above.
Then, the distance from his nose to the tip of his finger is approximately 1 yard or 36 inches.
Other things that measure approximately 1 yard.
- Suppose your height is 5'10", then 1 yard is about the distance from your waist to the floor.
- The width of many refrigerators is about 1 yard.
- The height of a 3-year old child could be about 1 yard.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.